Sunday, February 11, 2007

What is next...


I am SOOOO sorry I have not written in so long. Sarah yelled at me at church the other week because it has been so long. Her exact words were "Taryn I will kill you if you don't start blogging again" and THEN she threatened to take me off her link list...the nerve... haha just kids Sarah...Anyway so I have been thinking lots about trends in internet sites. Allow me to explain...

So I have been observing the obvious trends circulating amongst many of my friends. Does anybody remember ICQ? It was so cool to have when I was in high school. Everybody had...everybody but me. My mom refused to let me have ICQ, she allowed me to have MSN but not ICQ. I used to get sooo mad because I felt as though I was missing out on so much.
After a couple years however the cool thing to have was MSN. (So was I extremely ahead of the times or just a complete dork?) Needless to say I loved that I was right in the middle of things. I wasn't behind but I was sitting sweetly where all the cool people were. MSN was pretty big for a long time, and to be honest I still spend way too much time on it.
Towards the end of my last year at Briercrest, the cool thing to do was to create a myspace. So I went all out. I created the cutest myspace that you could. I have music playing, a sweet background and began adding my fellow band wagoners to my "top friends". I began becoming consumed with my "myspace" (it really is an awkward name when paired with the right noun) I checked it everyday, and would become very sensitive about being moved down the list of my friends "top friends".

Then when I moved back to halifax, everyone I talked to seemed to be doing this blogging thing. So of course following suit with everyone else, I definitely started blogging, and with that of course reading everyone else's as well. I began to not only stalk people on my space, but I also began to stalk them on blogspot. It began to get a little out of hand. I used to know all sorts of stuff about people I had never really talked to. Anyway, the more I speak about it the creepier I sound so I will stop now.

The next big fad is one I am currently addicted and obsessed with is FACEBOOK!! Sarah I noticed you got one...jumping on the bandwagon are we?? I am fully and completely addicted to facebook, and I could spend hours a day looking up old crushing...(finding new ones...mind you I will never talk to them...creepy) joining groups and seeing who has more friends than whom. It is ridiculous. Although, I did however get reacquainted with a great friend from my elementary school days. That has definitely been the highlight for me.

As for MSN, blogging, myspace and facebook, I have nothing against any of them. I love them!! I have just been finding that instead of spending quality time with friends, I read their blog , or look at their pictures, and then I feel like I know what been going on in their lives. Thus, at least in my life, it seems to minimize the amount of communication I have with people. Interesting, programs that are intended to bring people closer together actually distance people. So what do you guys think? Do you agree? What trend are you obsessed with right now??

4 comments:

julia said...

Taryn.
I completely agree. I have been getting to know this.. person... lately.. and really we talk SO much on msn. I'd rather the phone, or in person.. but because msn and these things are so much easier I think I've become scared of the phone.
I would say that msn is my trend. and facebook. blah. technology.

SLH said...

Facebook is taking over my life...I know I should get ride of it, but I just can't...LOL (confession)

annie.marie said...

haha, wierd, it was a little opposite way for me, i got facebook, then i got myspace, and then a blog, but only because im somewhere far away, and my fam wants to see my pics!! haha. but for me, 'stalking' these things is a way for me for sure to keep in touch/ know about their lives since i can't be close to them! but good thought taryn, you're a deep thinker! i talked to scotty the other day, and he said that you were the one that made your BC trip fun the other summer ago, haha, so i thought you should know that!! what a compliment!
catch ya later!! happy valentines day!

The Barretts said...

Hey....nice to see an update! And for the record...I didn't say I'd kill you! YIKES...maybe just injure :) j/k

So, I love blogging & now I enjoy Facebook too. I also used to be all into ICQ, MSN messenger, but never myspace. What will be the next internet craze I wonder...?